Rose Brooks Center
Shelter Advocate, Monday – Thursday, 9pm to 7am
If you want to make a positive difference in the lives of others and do meaningful work then Rose Brooks Center, a non-profit domestic violence agency in Kansas City, MO may be the agency for you!
The Shelter Advocate is responsible for providing survivor centered, equitable and inclusive, accessible, and trauma informed advocacy to residents of Rose Brooks Center. Rose Brooks Center’s shelter is a low barrier and voluntary participation program serving adult and child survivors of domestic violence. Primary responsibilities include providing crisis intervention, safety planning, and advocacy to callers on the hotline and in shelter and facilitates the provision of services and activities that promote a healthy, safe, equitable, inclusive, and positive living environment. This position will support the mission and values of the agency, collaborates across programs within a multi-disciplinary team as well as external systems. This position reports to the Shelter Manager.
For more information visit, www.rosebrooks.org.
- Experience providing excellent customer service and inclusive services to a diverse client group
- Strong computer skills (MS office, database system, and other software)
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Time management skills and the flexibility and ability to prioritize job tasks
- Ability to provide services according to Rose Brooks Center’s values, beliefs, and philosophies centered on principles of trauma informed care, accessibility, and equity and inclusion.
- Proven ability to collaborate within an interdisciplinary team
- 1 year or more experience working in a residential setting or crisis intervention role
- Experience in providing domestic violence advocacy
- Knowledge of relevant community resources
- Knowledge of trauma informed care and dynamics of domestic violence
- Valid driver’s license and ability to provide proof of automobile insurance
Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Physical and Mental Demands/Working Conditions – ability to perform the following with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to see computer screen, read, and complete forms
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds to the waist, push, pull, lift, bend, climb, reach, sit, walk and stand
- Ability to transport (drive) residents on occasion
- Ability to answer phone calls in a busy environment (hear callers and be responsive)
- Ability to use standard cleaning supplies
- Exposure to animals (primarily dogs and cats)
- Exposure to virus and other contagious diseases within shelter
- Exposure to other’s trauma
- Ability to take personal responsibility for effects of trauma exposure to reduce negative impact on self and others
- Ability to work in a high intensity/fast paced work environment, being able to multi-task and prioritize
The shelter operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Some holidays are required. This position is scheduled Full-Time, Monday through Thursday 9pm to 7am.
Benefits of being a Rose Brooks Center Team Member:
Great Benefits – For full-time positions, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes, medical, dental, vision and short term disability insurance, 403b with employer match, generous vacation, sick, holiday and personal time and competitive hourly rate including shift differential for evening, overnight and weekend hours.
Survivor Centered, Voluntary Services – Our services are survivor directed and voluntary which means we as a staff are able to take a supportive approach and are not required to enforce mandates. We are people first and seek to find creative solutions to help each survivor be successful in the goals they identify.
Team Oriented – We support one another in achieving the mission. Communication and collaboration are highly valued. We assume the best of each other and our clients. We recognize that we all have valuable experience and knowledge to contribute to the whole.
Learning Organization – We are deeply committed to learning and improving. We encourage creative solutions, reflective review and appropriate adaptation. Continuing Education credits available for a majority of agency trainings.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: HumanResources@rosebrooks.org
Or mail to:
PO Box 320599
Kansas City, MO 64132
Candidates must consent to Background Check and Children’s Division (Central Registry/Child Abuse) Screening.
Deadline: Open until filled per qualifications.
Rose Brooks Center is an equal opportunity employer who values and embraces diversity.