Pet Advocacy Manager
Rose Brooks Center, a non-profit domestic violence agency, is currently hiring a full-time Pet Advocacy Manager. The Pet Advocacy Manager is responsible for coordinating and implementing the daily operations of the pet shelter and related advocacy services, providing supervision and leadership to pet shelter program advocates (staff and volunteer), providing training and consultation, and the development of the pet shelter and related advocacy services. The Pet Advocacy Manager will collaborate within a multidisciplinary team, across programs at Rose Brooks Center, as well as systems outside of the agency to provide supports for survivors and their pets as well as improve the coordinated response to the co-occurrence of domestic violence and pet abuse. The Pet Advocacy Manager will partner with agency leadership to develop and implement program improvements and expansion. This position works within a low barrier and voluntary participation shelter and is responsible for providing survivor centered, accessible, trauma informed, and equitable and inclusive advocacy to residents in the emergency shelter. For more information, visit www.rosebrooks.org.
OTHER ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
- Perform all job responsibilities while demonstrating proficiency in all RBC Competencies and a commitment to the overall mission of Rose Brooks Center.
- Perform functions of job according to agency policies and procedures, utilizing the principles of trauma informed care, accessibility, and equity and inclusion; maintains awareness of risks of secondary trauma and one’s own responsibility of self-care.
- Participate in all required trainings and optional trainings as determined; attend required/scheduled staff and team meetings, which may occur outside of normal work hours.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of the link between domestic violence and pet abuse and ability to train staff, volunteers and community partners on the link
- Knowledge of and experience working with or in animal welfare agencies, including general knowledge of animal health and behavioral issues
- Knowledge of general methods and procedures for managing an animal shelter or kenneling facility
- Volunteer experience or volunteer management experience
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills; ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Efficient time management, problem solving, and organizational skills; ability to work independently
- Ability to perform computer skills (including MS office, database, and security software)
- Valid driver’s license and ability to provide proof of automobile insurance
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and spend a significant amount of work hours standing, walking, bending, and lifting
- Bi-lingual in ASL or Spanish/English-written and verbal
- Volunteer or work experience with a domestic violence program; Experience in providing domestic violence advocacy and safety planning
- Knowledge of local animal welfare resources
- Experience providing equitable and inclusive services to a diverse client group
- Demonstrated ability to be aware of potentially dangerous situations when working with animals
- Demonstrated ability and comfort in working with animals of unknown disposition and those who may exhibit medical or other problems, as well as aggressive tendencies; to respond and cope with unexpected dog behavior without assistance; ability to remain calm with animals who are distressed or overstimulated; and demonstrate good judgment in these situations
This is a full-time salaried position that may require mid and evening shifts and work hours
that accommodate participants’ schedules and needs, including some weekend hours and holidays.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to:
P.O. Box 320599
Kansas City, MO 64132
Candidates must consent to a Background Check and Children’s Division (Central Registry/Child Abuse) Screening
Deadline: Open until filled per qualifications
Rose Brooks Center is an equal opportunity employer who values and embraces diversity. Rose Brooks Center offers comprehensive and competitive pay and benefits.