Rose Brooks Center
Notice of Job Posting 3.7.18
SHELTER ADVOCATE PRN ON-CALL (Non-Exempt)
If doing meaningful work and making a positive difference in the lives of others is important to you, this may be the opportunity for you! Rose Brooks Center, a non-profit domestic violence agency serves more than 10,000 families each year and is nationally recognized leader in creating safe families and communities. We are committed to the work we do and we work together to re-build, reclaim, and save lives threatened by domestic violence.
We are seeking reliable persons to serve as PRN Shelter Advocates. These positions work within a low barrier and voluntary program, reports to the Shelter Manager and is responsible for providing survivor centered, accessible, trauma informed and culturally competent advocacy to residents of Rose Brooks Center. Primary responsibilities include providing advocacy and crisis intervention services for residents of the 100 bed shelter and to callers on the hotline. Other responsibilities include conducting resident intakes, operating and monitoring the security system, facilitating services and activities that promote a healthy, safe and positive living environment and provide central office coverage and general office functions. This position will support the mission and values of the agency, collaborate across programs within the agency, a multi-disciplinary team and within systems outside the agency.
Hours: The PRN Shelter Advocate is scheduled and works as needed, including weekends, evenings and holidays available – (i.e. to provide shelter advocacy for vacation, call-in coverage, etc.).
Hours: The On-call Backup role provides on-call support on a rotation basis. Advocates must be able to respond to the dispatcher within 10 minutes of a call and arrive at shelter within 45-minutes of the call. The PRN On-call Shelter Advocate will be sign up to be on-call for seven 12 hour shifts each month. Those seven days will include at least two weekend shifts. Available on-call shifts are: Sunday-Saturday 5pm-5am as well as Saturday and Sunday 5am-5pm.
- Enjoys working with people in a team and collaborative work environment
- Works well in a fast-paced, stressful environment with the demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Excellent customer service and problem solving skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Able to maintain accurate, timely documentation of services and perform basic computer skills using Microsoft Office
- Reliable and dependable
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to provide proof of automobile insurance
- Experience with domestic violence advocacy, mediation and crisis intervention
- Experience providing culturally competent services to a diverse client group
- Knowledge and experience in trauma informed care and dynamics of domestic violence
- Bi-lingual Spanish – English, both written and verbal
- American Sign Language skills
Other Aspects of the Job:
- Perform all job responsibilities while demonstrating proficiency in all RBC Competencies and a commitment to the overall mission of Rose Brooks Center.
- Perform functions of job according to agency policies and procedures.
- Attend scheduled staff and team meetings and scheduled trainings.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to:
P.O. Box 320599
Kansas City, MO 64132 or
Candidates must consent to a Background Check and Children’s Division (Central Registry/Child Abuse) Screening.
Deadline: Open until filled per qualifications.
Rose Brooks Center is an equal opportunity employer who values and embraces diversity
For more information visit www.rosebrooks.org