Rose Brooks Center
Notice of Job Posting: 7/31/19
Substance Abuse Counselor/Shelter Crisis Support
Rose Brooks Center, a non-profit domestic violence agency, seeks a full-time, Substance Abuse Counselor-Shelter Crisis Support whose primary role is to conduct the delivery of substance abuse counseling and domestic violence therapeutic services to residents of the emergency shelter.
This position conducts assessments and coordinates supported recovery service plans for residents of Rose Brooks Center. This position also provides individual and group substance abuse counseling and trauma recovery counseling. Actively engages shelter residents in support planning, safety planning, and RBC support and advocacy services, as well as community-based support resources during their stay in shelter. Provides crisis intervention as needed, helps link shelter residents with internal and external resources needed to help mitigate ongoing crises stemming from trauma, substance abuse, and mental health.
This position requires on-going professional development and provides consultation and collaborative support to the shelter and clinical teams to provide meaningful, trauma-informed interventions and support to survivors in crisis, or who are impacted by trauma, substance abuse or mental health issues. This position also plans, organizes, and provides regular ongoing educational and recreational activities with residents. This position follows agency policy and guidelines for documentation of therapeutic services.
This position reports to the Supported Recovery Program Manager.
- Minimum of one year experience providing substance abuse treatment
- Knowledgeable of domestic violence
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with others – internal and external
- Demonstrates respect for diversity and cultural competency
- Works both independently as well as an effective team member and strives to improve staff/client relations
- Demonstrated understanding of trauma and its impact
- Computer literacy
- 1+ years’ work experience in a residential setting
- Prior experience in providing therapy/counseling services
- Spanish-English Bi-lingual
- Required Education and Licensure
- Master’s degree in social work, addictions studies, counseling, psychology, or related field
- Missouri certified Substance Abuse Counselor or in the process of obtaining certification
- Licensed or licensed eligible for State of MO
OTHER ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
- Perform all job responsibilities while demonstrating proficiency in all RBC Competencies and a commitment to the overall mission of Rose Brooks Center.
- Perform functions of the job according to agency policies and procedures.
- Perform all job responsibilities utilizing the principles of trauma informed care, accessibility, cultural competency, and utilization of our harm reduction policy.
- Maintain awareness about the risks of secondary trauma and understand one’s own responsibility of self-care.
- Participate in all required trainings and optional trainings as determined.
- Attend scheduled staff, team and supervisor meetings.
This is a full-time salaried position working a minimum of 40 hours, that requires a flexible schedule with some evenings required. This position is also scheduled within the on-call rotation with other emergency on-call staff, as designated.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Dept.
P.O. Box 320599
Kansas City, MO. 64132
Or Email: HumanResources@RoseBrooks.org
Deadline: Open until filled per qualifications. For questions about this position, please contact Human Resources 816-523-5550 x7108. Background screening required including Division of Family Services.
Rose Brooks Center is an equal opportunity employer who values and embraces diversity.